Mar 1, 2011

Houdini

The Bit is making me crazy!  He has taught himself to climb out of his crib and finds devilish joy in surprising me around the house when I think he's sleeping.

I have been suspicious for a while that this was coming.  I witnessed, with my own two eyes, how he can climb into his crib.  He sits on the edge of the changing table and stretches over to the crib railing.  Once he has a good grip on the railing with his hands, he uses his monkey like toes to grasp the bars.  He then pulls himself, gymnast style, onto the top of the rail.  He shimmys and wiggles until he's able to flip one leg over, then the other and he plops onto the mattress.  I didn't discourage this behavior because, he was climbing into bed, and that's fabulous!  I don't know if he is using the same exact method in reverse to get out, but I imagine it's something close.

Yesterday, Lil' Bit and I went to the gym, Walmart, lunch & the DAV store (the best used stuff store ever).  I needed to also hit up the sports store for some new running shoes but noticed the sleepy-eye-rub happening and figured I wouldn't push my luck.  We headed back to the house and after a few minutes I tried to put him down for a nap.  He wasn't thrilled, but that happens from time to time and when it does, he fusses for about 5 minutes and then knocks out for a good 2 hours.  The bloody murder screams didn't even last 5 minutes and I naively thought, he had given in to the sandman and was sleeping. 

Boy was I wrong. 

I went to make my way through some laundry and I catch a slight bit of movement out of the corner of my eye.  When I turn and look, Lil' Bit is standing in the doorway staring at me like some sort of horror movie character.  Focused, dead pan stare, perfectly still and when I let out a startled squeal of  fright he beams the biggest grin from ear to ear.  I put him in the crib again and again, only to be greeted about 10 minutes later by the same grumpy Stephen King creation.

No Nap

Lil' Bit is not a pleasant creature when he is overly tired.  He spent a fair amount of time screaming on the kitchen floor, he lashed out at his brother and refused to be good company at dinner.  Big Red was tired after school so we moved the bedtime routine ahead by an hour and half.  Handsome put the Bit into the crib and magically, he stayed... for a while.

I was still up watching Criminal Minds, when you-know-who comes creeping around the corner.  He was being all sweet and un-demonic-creature-like so we snuggled on the couch and he fell asleep again.  When my show was over, I put him in the crib and miraculously, he stayed asleep. 

That is, until about 2am. 

I don't know how he got in between Handsome and I but I was awoken by a Rodent of Unusual Size doing crocodile death rolls in my covers.  That lasted about 1 whole minute and Handsome grumpily scooped him up and put him back in the crib. 

This morning when I woke up, there he was, in my bed again, snoring logs.   

No comments:

Post a Comment