Mar 13, 2011

Junk in the trunk... more like a moving van

I have been trying for a long while to get back in shape, improve my overall health and loose weight.  I was first diagnosed with gestational diabetes during my pregnancy with Lil' Bit and then as a type 2 diabetic in October of 2009.

I was slowly climbing to higher numbers on the scale before I got married but I put on a lot of weight during my pregnancy with Big Red.  The major change in lifestyle without a change in eating habits led to more pounds and before I knew it, I fell into the medical classification of OBESE.  That seems crazy to me.  I never felt THAT fat.  But the numbers were what they were and when I was pregnant with Lil' Bit I was extremely careful about watching my diet.  After his birth I only weighed 5 pounds more than before I got pregnant and that felt good.

I was doing exceptionally well with exercising while still in Idaho but fell out of it with the move to Virginia.  I have maintained a good diet for the most part with a few derailments here and there but nothing I haven't been able to recover from.  I am finally getting back into physical fitness and it feels good.

I joined the local health club in town and have picked out some classes to join in: Zumba, Step Aerobics and a Cardio Kickboxing Class.  I am such a social creature that working out to videos in the living room just wasn't cutting it.  I also invested in a nice used treadmill.  I ran on it the other day and had to threaten the boys with severe bodily harm to get them to quit driving their race cars and monster trucks on it while I was running.  They then ran in place next to me, laughing like hyenas.  

Have you ever tried to hold in a laugh, scold your children and breathe at a full out sprint?  I HAVE!

I don't have a specific goal weight in mind, but I would like to get back down to a size 6/8 and around 135lbs.  My 2 favorite dresses are a size 8 and I WILL wear them again.  Those dresses and a ridiculously expensive pair of jeans are the only remaining "skinny clothes" in my closet.  I've pulled them out and put them where I can see them as a daily visual reminder of my goal.

I know it will be hard and require work but I'm motivated.  I have committed to four 5k's for 2011.  There are a couple of races I have my eye on in April.  I'm especially interested in the obstacle course type races like Rugged Maniac, Muddy Buddy and Tough Mudder.  Long term goal is to participate in the Bataan Memorial Death March in New Mexico.

Anyone feel like being running buddies?   

No comments:

Post a Comment